In-Depth Report of 547 Advertisers and over 1 Billion Impressions Provides the Most Detailed Look at News Feed Retargeting to Date
Innovative companies disrupt their industries, but the most innovative companies aren’t afraid to disrupt themselves. By adding premium News Feed placement to Facebook Exchange (FBX), that’s exactly what Facebook did.
When Facebook launched Facebook Exchange (FBX) in June of last year, it enabled advertisers to execute real-time bidding (RTB) across Facebook’s massive ad inventory (which accounts for nearly 28% of all US display impressions) for the first time ever. For our customers, this meant that they could now extend their retargeting campaigns to the most visited website in the world.
The initial results were impressive. However, as it has turned out, these right-hand side placements were only a piece of a much bigger opportunity. In May, Facebook kicked things up another notch, a big notch, by making the News Feed (technically via Page Post Link Ads) available through FBX. The News Feed is the reason that billions of users log on to Facebook every month – it’s the first place people go to access the social web, and where they spend most of their time on the largest social network.
In addition to the News Feed’s prominent placement, social elements (like, comment, and share) make it even more ideal for direct response marketing, providing even greater potential for viral distribution. In essence, retargeting in the News Feed combines four important campaign success metrics; prominence (News Feed), precision (retargeting), direct response (via links), and impactful engagement (social). A killer combo.
Given the opportunity retargeting in the News Feed presents, we wanted to share the early results so marketers can get a better idea for how to leverage this powerful channel, and what to expect. In particular, we were interested to see exactly how FBX News Feed, FBX right-hand side, and standard web retargeting campaigns worked together.
For this report, we looked at the campaigns of 547 advertisers running over 1 billion impressions across FBX News Feed, FBX right-hand side, and standard web retargeting campaigns. This sample was made up of advertisers from all verticals with budgets from less than $1000 per month to over $20,000 per month. Here are some of the most striking findings:
- News Feed retargeting had a click-through rate (CTR) 49x higher than RHS and 21x higher than standard web retargeting
- News Feed CPCs were ½ that of RHS campaigns and 1/5 of web retargeting
- News Feed grew from 0% of our overall clicks to 15% in one month
- News Feed and RHS complement one another and result in an overall increase in clicks at a combined lower CPC
- News Feed alone doesn’t have the reach or scale of RHS or standard web, and should therefore be used in conjunction with the other channels
- News Feed has different applications from RHS. It’s ideal for content marketing and promotions (which can capitalize on social features) while RHS is best suited for dynamic product ads driving direct response.
For those findings and additional analysis, download our Facebook Exchange News Feed Retargeting Report to learn more about the results from our News Feed retargeting on FBX.